With the recent interest in virtual reality, questions of immersive experience have focused on VR and associated hardware typified by the headset. While VR headsets are able to provide the simulation of total immersion by delivering high resolution stereoscopic image unfettered by environmental conditions, it is those very environmental aspects that are lacking – a sense of physical space, a sense of embodiment, and a sense of the social. In this sense, VR in the classical sense is an isolated experience for the user.
Creating immersive audiovisual environments in physical space us give back spatial, corporeal, and social senses. A number of formats for immersive projection have existed, including the CAVE automatic virtual environments of the 1990s, and the more recent full dome facilities. We can even think of planetariums as immersive theatres for creative content beyond constellations
Immersive Pipeline is a research project led by Atau Tanaka initially funded for a period of 6 months by the AHRC/EPSRC Research and Partnership Development call for the Next Generation of Immersive Experiences. Artist researcher, Dr. Blanca Regina joined the team in January 2018, and the software developer Pierre Tardif.
– Société des Arts Technologiques, Montréal
– Institute for Sound and Music, Berlin
– Recombinant Media Labs, San Francisco
– Sonic Womb, London
– GarageCube, publisher of MadMapper and Modul8, Geneva
– Derivative, publishers of TouchDesigner, Toronto
– NSC Creative, UK distributors of Front Pictures, Leicester
The project its focused on the research and production of pipelines and translators for the authoring, sharing, and touring of immersive media performance works. The aims are to:
1) Create content production pipelines to allow artists to concentrate on the creative aspects of their immersive works, and
2) Facilitate the conversion and translation of existing works from one format to another, for example, CineChamber to Hexadome. SIML could become a leading UK studio for the production of new immersive works, and a screening facility to introduce UK audiences to the catalogue of immersive works created for the CineChamber, Satsophere, and ISM-Hexadome.
The main goals of this project are to provide research platform and to answer to the following questions:
– Can we identify best practice in immersive production techniques in order to define an authoring workflow for new immersive audiovisual performance works?
– Can we draw upon the wealth of existing practice for it to drive technology development, instead of technology determining creativity?
– Can we create technologies for the translation of creative work from one immersive format to another in such a way to maintain original creative intent, and liberate works from being inadvertently site specific?
Immersive Pipeline – Research session – 12&13th February 2018 at Goldsmiths London
Coordination: Atau Tanaka & Blanca Regina
Monday 12th February from 15:00 to 18:30
15:00 – Presentation by Atau Tanaka (Goldsmiths)
15:15 – Talk withPaul Mowbray (NSC Creative)
15:30 – Talk with Naut Humon (Rml CineChamber)
15:45 – Talk with Luc Courchesne (SAT)
16:00 – Tea time – short break –
16:30 – Talk with Julian Henriques (Goldsmiths)
16:45 – State of the Art and identifying needs
17:45 – Demonstration of SIML with Julian Henriques
18:30 – End of the session
Tuesday 13th February from 10:00 to 14:00
10:00 – Presentation by Blanca Regina (Goldsmiths)
10:15 – Talk by Nick Meehan (Hexadome)
10:30 – Talk by Francois Wunschel (MadMapper)
10:45 – Talk by Karel Doing
11:00 – Tea time – short break –
11:15 – Brainstorming, problem solving
12:45 – Lunch
13:15 – Hands on session with participants & artists
13:45 – Closing considerations with Atau Tanaka
14:00 – End of the session
Photos by Alessandro Vangi
Edited by Pierre Bouvier Patron
Event 12/04/2018 . Link to Full information
This is the first public event of Immersive Pipeline. The programme is curated by Atau Tanaka and Blanca Regina and presents immersive audiovisual performances and a screening. It showcases some of the work in progress of international artists and Goldsmiths students. Includes a presentation with one of the pioneering figures in the field of immersive audiovisual, Naut Humon from RecombinantFestival.com (RML), San Francisco.
Performances. FULL PROGRAMME
LILLEVAN + ATAU TANAKA present Le Loup, Lifting & Myogram
ALBA CORRAL + ALEX AUGIER present Germination
BRYAN DUNPHY present Ventriloquy II
Screening introduced by Naut Humon
Halveplane by MASAKO TANAKA + OVAL (RML CineChamber)